Last August, Tonia from The Periwinkle Knitting Cafe asked me to design a couple of crochet patterns for her Sea Life Bunting Project. She wanted a simple beginner’s pattern and a slightly more advanced one so of course; I opted for the simplest of all creatures for my beginner’s pattern: the jellyfish! (I also wrote a Starfish pattern which I will upload at some point soon!)
The patterns were sold in her shop until October as little packs and then all the completed sea creatures were donated back to Tonia who duly strung them into bunting which she in turn donated back to the town. The bunting is now in the hands of the local council and will be used for local events in Ilfracombe!
Since the project is now over, and because I have been utterly crap at posting this sooner, I thought I would grab a moment to post the jellyfish pattern here for free!
Your jellyfish can be made from any scraps of yarn you have lying about and, as it is made using double crochets (or if you speak in uk terms= treble crochets) it works up very quickly indeed.
I used dk yarn and a 4mm hook and my jellyfish worked up to be approximately 6 inches wide at the dome when folded flat and the tendrils were approx. 9 – 10 inches long … ISH haha jellyfish are tricky to measure!
Jellyfish crochet pattern
Ss = slip stitch
Ch = chain
Sc = single crochet (insert hook into stitch, yarn over, pull through, 2 loops on hook, yarn over and pull through)
Dc = double crochet (yarn over, insert hook into stitch, yarn over, pull through, 3 loops on hook, yarn over pull through 2, 2 loops on hook, yarn over pull through final 2 loops)
** Repeat the pattern between the asterisks “* *” until end of round
Magic ring to start (or ch4, ss to join)
1. Ch2 (counts as first dc) 11dc into ring, ss to join. (12)
2. Ch2 (counts as first dc) 1dc in same stitch. *2dc in each stitch* ss to join (24)
3. Ch2 (counts as first dc) 2dc in next stitch. *1dc in next stitch, 2dc in next stitch* ss to join (36)
4. Ch2 (counts as first dc) 1dc in next stitch, 2dc in next stitch. *1dc in next 2 stitches, 2dc in next stitch* ss to join. (48)
5. Ch2 (counts as first dc) 1dc in next 2 stitches, 2dc in next stitch. *1dc in next 3stitches, 2dc in next stitch* ss to join (60)
6-10. Ch2 (counts as first dc) 1dc in each stitch around, ss to join (60) Cut yarn and weave in ends.
11. Attach new yarn to any stitch, 1sc in each stitch around, ss to join (60)
Cut yarn and weave in ends.
Curly Tendrils (make 3)
1. Ch75 (approximately)
2. In second chain from hook, 2sc. *2sc in each ch* Cut yarn and leave long tail for sewing.
Thin tendrils (make 5)
1. Ch55 (approximately) Cut yarn and leave long tail for sewing.
Sew tendrils to the middle center underside of round 1 of the jellyfish body.